In traditional Métis society, education was informal and was passed down to youth from the Elders or the “Old People”. This form of education centred on resource extraction and how to make a living off of the land. Since bison were at the centre of the Métis economy during the golden age of the Métis Nation (1816-1869), this hardy animal is a fitting symbol of traditional Métis education. Métis youth would have learned from their Elders the many useful and lifesaving applications, which this one animal provided to their entire society. This section contains all learning resources commissioned for the Virtual Museum, in addition to many of the Gabriel Dumont Institute’s proven educational resources from the past.
Learning Resources Collection
The Gabriel Dumont Institute (GDI) Publishing Department has published or produced more than 80 Métis-specific books and educational resources since the early 1980s. This section contains many of GDI’s out-of-stock learning resources. It also contains Métis-specific learning resources produced by Métis community members who work outside of the Institute.
Métis-specific books and learning and cultural resources, can obtained through the Gabriel Dumont Institute at shopmetis.ca.
Bringing Métis Children’s Literature to Life: Teacher Guidebook for GDI Publications
How to Fingerweave
Honouring Gabriel Dumont in Saskatoon
Taanishi Books - Emergent Readers - Michif Card
- Métis Community Resources
- Gabriel Dumont Institute Out-of-Print Resources
- 1885: Metis Rebellion or Government Conspiracy?
- A Pictorial History of the Métis and Non-Status Indian in Saskatchewan
- Batoche Project
- Better That Way
- Changes / The Turtle's Teachings
- Educational Posters
- Fiddle About
- Fifty Historical Vignettes: Views of the Common People
- Gabriel Dumont: Métis Legend
- Home From the Hill: A History of the Metis in Western Canada
- Learning to Speak, Read and Write Cree
- Louis Riel Slideshow
- Louis Riel: Justice Must Be Done
- Métis Development in the Canadian West Series
- Métis Historical Booklet Series
- Métis Pride: Flags of the Métis
- The Alfred Reading Series
- The Beavers’ Big House
- The Giving Tree Extension Activities
- The Journal of Indigenous Studies
- The One-and-a-Half Men: The Story of Jim Brady and Malcolm Norris
- The Sash: Métis Fingerweaving
- The Story of the Rabbit Dance